Alligator nuggets? Tomato sorbet? Asparagus wine? Llama cutlets? Why not? You’re in a new place, so go beyond the familiar and treat your taste buds to a party at a great restaurant. I’ll take you there.
I’ve never classified myself as a “foodie,” a rather pretentious term people assign themselves if they know the difference between a yam and a sweet potato. On the other hand, I’ve never been able to understand people who eat just for sustenance and don’t particularly care what they consume, especially when they’re on vacation. I attribute this bafflement to my Italian heritage, where food is so integral to all other aspects of life that it’s unimaginable to me how anyone cannot relish a delectable meal, no matter what else they’re doing.
If you’re in Vienna, why are you patronizing Starbucks? And why are you searching for a McDonald’s in Buenos Aires? You shouldn’t be.
Now, we all have our limitations. You won’t ever catch me sampling roasted scorpions on a skewer. But if I never tried something new, I wouldn’t know I actually love whale steak, like conch fritters, loathe vegemite, and found haggis to be a savory and tasty delight, nowhere near as revolting as any non-Scot believes it to be.
These are some of my favorite culinary experiences. Whether it’s ice cream so delicious you could easily ingest a gallon in one sitting, a mouthwatering lunch prepared by students at a culinary institute, or a phenomenal dinner in a restaurant that I can only hope will remain in business for eternity, this is where you should be eating.
- Adele’s Restaurant and Lounge (Carson City, Nevada)
- Beach House (Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands)
- Berta’s Latin American Restaurant (San Diego, California)
- Botticelli (Rapid City, South Dakota)
- Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse (Boulder, Colorado)
- Café Christiania (Oslo, Norway)
- Chaophraya (Glasgow, Scotland)
- The Chocolate Bar (Buffalo, New York)
- Copper Falls Steakhouse (Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands)
- Emporium Coffeehouse and Café (Scottsbluff, Nebraska)
- Finca Decero (Mendoza, Argentina)
- Havana 1957 (Miami, Florida)
- Havis (Helsinki, Finland)
- Khazana (Edmonton, Alberta)
- Kuldse Notsu Kõrts (Tallinn, Estonia)
- Legligin Wine Bar (Valletta, Malta)
- Maestro’s at the Van Dam (Saratoga Springs, New York)
- McCormick & Schmick’s (Washington, D.C.)
- Minervas (Sioux Falls, South Dakota)
- NECI on Main (Montpelier, Vermont)
- Oceanaire Seafood Room (Baltimore, Maryland)
- Olde Bryan Inn (Saratoga Springs, New York)
- The Pancake Bakery (Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
- Peacock Alley (Bismarck, North Dakota)
- Plank Seafood Provisions (Omaha, Nebraska)
- PM Buenos Aires (Miami, Florida)
- Radicchio (Zagreb, Croatia)
- Rancho de Chimayó (Chimayó, New Mexico)
- Ristorante da Pancrazio (Rome, Italy)
- Savor (Niagara Falls, New York)
- The Silk Road (Missoula, Montana)
- The Skinny Pancake (Burlington, Vermont)
- Twisted Fork Grill & Saloon (Omaha, Nebraska)
- Villa Zeezicht (Amsterdam, the Netherlands)